Monday, October 10, 2011

In Awe of Reviews

Any author will tell you that a review can make or break a book. That is pretty much the truth too. Every author I know keeps a eye on what is being said about their books, and we need to.  We want to know what readers think.  We want to know what the reader liked, and also what they didn't like about it. 

Of course all reviews can't be 5 Star reviews, because not everyone likes the same kind of things.  People have personal preferences.  What one person says is great, another person can't say "I just didn't get it".  I understand that because I too have read books that people have raved about, and said "hmmmm...  Yeah this one is not for me."

So, with that said, can I tell you that I am in awe of the reviews I have received from people who have read my books.  Some of the people are friends, some of them are fellow authors, but some of them are from people I really just don't know. No matter who has written the review, I have found myself smiling and giddy inside by the words they have chosen to speak.

The fact that they have first taken the time to read my story excites me.  The fact that they took the time to review the story fills me with pride, and the fact that they liked my stories... well that just plain and simple humbles me. 

So last night I was playing on Goodreads and I found that a new review was posted for my second book, Blue Blood for Life. I read the review, and then I read it a second time and both times I found myself getting tears in my eyes as I read the words the reviewer had written.  Not only was I humbled by his words, but I was in Awe of what he said about my book. 

So with that... I'd like to share with you what he has said. 


Review of Blue Blood for Life by Tim O'Rourke - 5 Stars
I've had this book for a few weeks now and have wanted to find the time to read it - I knew that if it was going to be as good as the first book in the series then it was going to be a real page turner and once picked-up I wouldn't be able to put it down. And I was right! Once again Stacy Eaton has produced a fast paced, vampire-thriller with so many twists and turns I felt dizzy by the end of it.

It's hard to write a review without giving spoilers and I wouldn't want to spoil this great book for those yet to read it. But what I can say is that Eaton has the ability to create some great characters. I'm rather fond of Kristen (just my type of girl) fiery, strong minded, independant and is nobody's fool. This is so refreshing as a lot of female leads in this genre can moan alot and be full of self pity and self loathing - just waiting for the hunky vampire male to come along and rescue her. Not Kristen - sassy and smart to the very end. I think I have a bit of a crush! I love her heightened vampire senses!

A lot of characters from the first book come over into the is book and it was good to read about them all again. It's hard to say too much but there is a rather unpleasant character called Burke and he was so well written I could almost hear him breathing.

The thing I like about Eaton's writing is that the settings are so believable. There is not a detail missing and the police settings are most believable and researched so well I almost felt that I was riding shot-gun with Kristen and Trent.

I also like the way Eaton merges the different point of views of the different characters in this book and the first book. There are only three books that I have read where this is pulled off well as it is such a hard thing to do as I writer. The first book is 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker and the other two are both of Eaton's books. Eaton has a very 'Stoker' feel to her writing and for me that is the highest compliment I can pay any writer. Stoker was a gifted writer as is Eaton. 'Blue Blood for Life' fully lived up to my expectations and they were high as the first book in the series was so good.

This a must read and not a book to be missed. I can't wait to see what Eaton serves up next. Awesome!


Thank you Tim... Thank you to all of the people who have read my books and who have taken the time to put their thoughts down as to their feelings of my work.  I hope that as I grow in my writing, I will continue to connect to people and that they will get as into my books as Mr. O'Rourke did.

To see reviews of My Blood Runs Blue - please visit here. Goodreads Reviews - My Blood Runs Blue

To see reviews of Blue Blood for Life - please visit here:Goodreads Reviews - Blue Blood for Life

No comments:

Post a Comment