Sunday, January 15, 2012

Celebrating the WLC - Doug Dorow talks Uniting a Community


Guest post from author Doug Dorow  

Member of the WLC


Title? - It's for Men too! 

The WoMen's Literary Cafe is for Men too, that's why it is Wo Men....  


The first time I hit a link taking me to the WoMen's Literary Cafe was probably back in September or October when I saw a tweet about a book launch or something. I have to admit, the first time I clicked on it I thought it was more directed at women and books that women readers may be more likely to read. I read it as Women's Literary Cafe, it might have even said that at first. I kind of forgot about it for awhile. 


Then, a couple of weeks later, I was thinking about how I wanted to prepare for promoting my thriller, The Ninth District, for the holidays and all of those new kindles that were going to be under the tree.  I was on twitter again, like I am way too much, and read a tweet by Andy Holloman who was looking for others to partner with to do the same thing I did and who was looking into what Melissa Foster had successfully done for her book, Come Back To Me, with the WLC. 


I told Andy I was interested in learning more and I looked at the WLC site again and saw it was WoMen's Literary Cafe. This was my introduction to the WLC. And it was great! Melissa Foster and Stacy "Sarge" Eaton helped us put together a Mystery Launch via WLC in support of Andy launching Shades of Gray. We lined up 9 mystery/suspense/thriller authors and were put to work to start tweeting up the event, which was for three days in December; 99 cents, buy 3 get 1 free. 


The WLC did so much work. They lined up blogs for us to post on, promotion on The Cheap Kindle Daily, badges to use on our own websites and blogs. It was a great success for me. December was my best month since I published last June. 


In addition, I met a great group of fellow writers, who I continue to interact with on twitter and now count as my friends. I'm a big believer in the power of groups, collaboration and supporting each other. That's why I'm glad to be a part of the WoMen's Literary Cafe. I've benefited so much in the six weeks that I've been a part of the WLC. I'm looking forward to 2012 and the opportunities to give back to readers and writers as I continue down this writing path. I can't think of a better group of people, women and men,  to make the journey with.   


Doug
 Author Doug Dorow
Doug ~ I am so very glad that you learned so much during the event! Thank you for all that you have done to help others - keep passing it on!  Thank you!    ~ "Sarge"

To learn more about WoMen’s Literary Café 
(hosting both men and women), please visit:



2 comments:

  1. Hi Doug! What a joy to read your post and remember when we first met. It feels like ages ago. Now when I see your smiling face every morning in our forums, it's like greeting an old friend (um...as in..how long we've known each other, not age). Super glad you are part of WLC -and stay tuned, we're about to honor all the men in our community!
    xo,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the additional venues that are being added for writers and readers. That's another thing I like about the WLC, it's going to change and stay relevant in this ever changing writing and publishing environment.

    ReplyDelete