Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Writer Wednesday with William Bortz author of These Ties

 It's Writer's Wednesday! 
Today we have with us

William Bortz who is the author of
There Ties


Welcome William!!


Do you work another job when you are not writing?
I do not, a few months ago I quit my current job as a barista to take on writing and marketing my book full time.
What is your favorite thing to do when you aren’t writing?
I love to listen to music while I write, but sometimes sitting outside and listening to nature brings inspiration music never could.
What is your favorite color? Why?
Purple, I think because it’s so lively, and yet it can be so calm at the same time.
What is your favorite season? Why?
Spring. Everything comes to life. The trees start budding, the grass turns green, and birds start singing. Nothing is more beautiful.
If you could live anyplace on earth, where would it be? Why?
Somewhere in Italy or Austria. I read many articles and find as many pictures of these places that I can and stare at them for hours. I love everything about them! From the furniture to the food. I dream of sitting in a room with wide open doors facing the sea underneath massive cliffs and drinking in the atmosphere.
If you could have any car, what would it be?
Actually, I do not like owning a vehicle! As silly as that sounds I just feel as if I don’t need one. I love walking and riding bikes, and there is nothing more interesting than a bus ride across the country!
Tell us about your writing:
How long have your been writing? Was it a dream, a goal or is it just a hobby?
I’ve been writing for a long time. It started off as a journal, and then intertwined with my love for guitar and I would write my own songs and lyrics. Once I graduated from high school I didn’t write as much, being busy with school and work, and one day I woke up and realized these were not the things I wanted my life to be about; money and work. So I quit my job and took a break from school to try and find my calling, which I later figured out was writing. It started off as a hobby, but grew into a passion nothing could match, I will always keep writing regardless of the direction my life heads.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing?
It depends on the day, but usually between editing, writing, and creating around six or seven hours.
Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
I always try to find a routine but it never works, it coincides with the mood for the day. If it’s sunny and beautiful out inspiration comes easy, but one those slow and cloudy days I find myself sitting in front of a blank screen for some time. Than there are those days where writing seems like the last thing I will accomplish and at the most inconvenient moment inspiration hits! Good thing I’m not against writing on my arms and legs or half of my work would not exist today.
Is there some place special you like to be when you write?
Outside usually. The best places are in spots I’ve never been too before, and haven’t visited often. There are always those things you see that seem so new and my writing seems to flourish in those hidden spots.
Do you listen to music or do you need a quiet place to write?
Both seem to work wonderfully. It depends on what I’m writing about, if it’s something to do with nature and love I’ll usually turn the music off and listen to the world. But if it is something I’ve dealt with personally and I have to dig deep to find it music does the trick.
Tell us about your book:
What is the name of it and is it part of a series or a stand alone novel?
‘These Ties’ is a compilation of poems and short stories written over the timespan of about a year. It was at a very detrimental point in my life where I wasn’t sure where I was supposed to be, and all the relationships at that point seemed to be withering, not only my romantic relationships but the ones with my friends and more importantly the one with my mother. When the summer hit that year I ventured out west to visit a friend and try and find whatever I was missing. I found love, real love, and it changed my life entirely. I spent most of that summer on the west coast living the dream of being free to venture new grounds with the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. The book covers the strain of relationships and how they can effect so much more than themselves, and how the discovery of love transforms how one can think. It’s really about the power of love. The book does not stand alone, there are three in this project that will all tie together.
Where did the idea come from? How long did it take to write?
Sorry, I seemed to cover this question in the one above.. haha. If this is problem all you have to do is send me an email and I can rephrase the question before this one so I can answer both separately. Hope this is no inconvenience.
What is it about?
How love can change someone’s life. Not only does it teach you how the heart works, but also how it opens your eyes to the world. Love allows you to see the beauty in everything and everyone.
Your other work:
Do you have any upcoming projects in the works or other books that have been published?
I have quite a few projects I am working on currently. The major of them are the two books that go with this one, which will branch off into more personal events and stories, and also dive into a more earthy tone. I have a few short stories I’m working on editing and hopefully will be available as an eBook soon. There’s a novel I’m slowly piecing together that will take quite some time, as well as a photography and poetry book
Where can readers connect with you?
I am available on almost every social networking site out there! I love to connect with people anyway I can, so if anyone has a random thought or interesting topic of discussion I would love to hear it. Of course, I love to answer questions about my book as well.
Where can we buy your books?
My book is available on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble. The book is also available on my publishers site; Friesen Press. Of course it’s available on all those smaller eBook sites as well. I’m currently working on getting it onto iTunes and on some bookshelves.



  Where can Readers Reach you?
Website: Blog: At the moment I’m currently switching to a new blog site.

No comments:

Post a Comment